MatruDEV is powered by WordPress CMS for blogging on self hosted cloud hosting. Reason why we have chosen WordPress is because the ability of customizing WordPress is far better than any other available blogging software.
Customization can be done by adding actions, filters or hooks in function file, but it required some coding knowledge. Henceforth, this is were WordPress Plugins come into picture. Using plugins, customization can be done without any knowledge of coding, just download, install and activate plugin, the rest of the work is done by plugin itself.
WordPress plugins plays an important role to get more out of WordPress blog. Different plugins perform different function and depending on the requirement we can install plugins that we need.
So here I have listed out plugins that we recommend to use and even we use the same (list in alphabetical order):
- Akismet: It is a spam protection WordPress Plugin developed by Automattic Inc. Akismet use to protect WordPress from spam comments, trackbacks and it can also be integrated with bbPress and Contact forms.
- bbPress: is a forum software which can be integrated into WordPress that allows to create new Forums, Topics, get Replies and also maintain the profile page of user. Refer our DigitSpeak Support forum powered by bbPress forum.
- Broken Link Checker: is used for checking existence of existing link on WordPress page and post. If any link is broken and report 404 error that Broken Link Checker plugin will automatically alert administrator by sending e-mail as well as showing error count inside WordPress dashboard.
- Contact Form 7: is an awesome contact form that can be added into any page or post by using shortcode. The contact form directly send e-mail from website to admin e-mail address or any specified email address. There are lot of customization options available in contact form 7. Check our contact us page for demo.
- Display Widget: is used for restricting sidebar widgets based on page type such as Page, Post, Category, Archive, Homepage and extra. You have option either to hide widget or display on selected page type.
- EWWW Image Optimizer: is an automatic image Optimizer which will optimize images to reduce is image file size and replace it with existing original heavy file. All the process is automatic and executes on just a single click.
- iThemes Security: is an essential WordPress Security plugins which improves security of installation with few clicks and configuration. This should be first plugin to install and setup security settings completely.
- Limit login Attempt: restrict un-authorized users from guessing and ban login. You can specify number of bad login attempts that user or bot may perform before getting banned. If user or bot is using admin as login username, then this plugin will immediately ban for 24 hours.
- Redirection: If your articles are being migrated from one site to another or link has been changed permanently, then redirection plugin will help to redirect page request from old link to new link.
- Responsive Lightbox: is a plugin that pop-up images uploaded into post in full screen mode. It also work for different screen sizes like mobile, tablets and desktop.
- WP-Optimize: is WordPress database optimization plugin which removes all temporary saved post or pages in WordPress DB hence, decrease database size.
- WP-PageNavi: Default navigation system in any WordPress theme might be previous posts and next posts which might be pretty boring to navigate one after the other page. Hence, this plugin simplifies navigation by providing links to page archive for simple and easy navigation.
- WP Supercache: is an awesome caching plugin developed by WordPress.org itself. This plugin uses Apache mod_rewrite rules to perform caching of most frequently visited pages to retrieve on browser at faster rate. Another alternative is W3 Total Cache.
- Yoast SEO: is considered as one of the best WordPress plugins for Search Engine Optimization of blog. If completely configured and make sure that every post comply with suggestion specified by Yoast SEO plugin, then you blog will definitely grow.
Other recommended essential WordPress plugins at will be helpful apart from above list are:
Will be added after comments and recommendation.
Note and Conclusion:
These are few of basic WordPress plugins that we found out to be best. We will be updating this list in-future with more recommendation.
If you think any plugin that is essential and not listed below, then please add in below comment box.