LED lights are the latest technology in energy efficient lighting. LED lamp is a Light Emitting Diode product that is assembled into a lamp (or light bulb) for use in lighting materials. A LED lamp emits a visible light when electric current passes through it.
LED lamps does not contain any Lead, Mercury or any Halogen Gas which are very toxic. And they also do not emit Ultra Violet or Infra Red radiations.
Advantages of LED Lamp:
- LED’s are extremely energy efficient and consume up to 90% less power than incandescent bulbs. They consume very low power of about 7-9 watts as compared to CFLs (10-15 watts) and incandescent light (60-120 watts).
- LED’s have long life span of about 50,000 hours i.e around 5 1/2 years on continuous use. Which is very long as compared CFLs (10,000 hrs) and incandescent light (1500 hrs).
- LED’s are extremely eco-friendly and do not contain any harmful toxic substances. They are 100% recyclable.
- They are highly durable and can resist bumps, jarring, shocks, vibrations etc.
- LED’s work even in unfavorable conditions like very hot or cold temperatures.
- LED’s mostly emit unidirectional light. But can be made to illuminate in 360º angle.
- LED’s are safe. They do not produce heat like incandescent lamp, can be hold with bare hands even if lighting.
- They are cost effective in fact the yearly cost is only about 20% as compared to incandescent bulbs. They require little or no maintenance.
The graph below shows a comparison of different light products:
Disadvantages of LED Bulb:
- The major disadvantage is LEDs are expensive to buy, they may cost anything between 5$ to 25$.
- They do not produce much brighter light. Need to add multiple LED combine together to produce enough light.
- Higher voltages can damage LED.
Applications of LED:
- LEDs switch on very rapidly even in cold temperature conditions, hence can be used for braking system to quickly flash the light.
- LEDs are can produce colorful lighting hence they can used in decoration.
- LEDs can be used in household and factories in smaller rooms.
- These days LED strips are being used for creating Business Logo and animations. They are also being used for interior decoration in hotels and restaurants.