Hardly who uses a smartphone today continue sending SMS to communicate with each other, hence there is enough competition in the market for customers mobile messaging . Pioneered Blackberry Messenger, WhatsApp have managed to gain all users, Line knows how to win money, Telegram sold as protective of our privacy, Google Hangouts exchange for Gtalk and wants to be everything, iMessage and Facetime is Apple Banner, Skype replaced the MSN Messenger and disposable Snapchat messaging … there are so many it’s hard to keep track of all these services, but ultimately looking for the same, be the first tool of modern communication.
But, truly what applications maintain your secure messages? We’ve already heard about the high level of vigilance to which we are subjected on the Internet and why more and more people look for safe ways to communicate to maintain their privacy, no matter that we have nothing to hide, we all have the right to want to keep private what we speak and with whom you spoke.
What characteristics must a messenger to be sure?
The reality is that people do not choose as the encryption method, but in the comfort ? But the usability and security are two different things and unfortunately the most popular tools fall into the bottle of the most insecure.
The EFF has analyzed the major messaging clients currently available and using a methodology that assesses 7 Important safety criteria have broken the level of protection offered by each.
- The communications must be encrypted in transit.
- Communications must be encrypted with a key to the service provider does not have access. That is, this will ensure that whoever provides the service can not read your messages. It is what is called encryption end to end , the necessary keys to decrypt messages are generated from the user side and not the server.
- The service must provide a way for the user to independently verify the identities of their contacts.
- Ensure that your past communications remain secure even when they steal your passwords. If you decide to delete the local copies of your messages, they are deleted forever.
- The application code must be open to be reviewed independently. Not necessarily that it is free so open source, but it provides enough for third parties to analyze and look for faults.
- The encryption method used should be well documented.
- Must have been audited.
Best and worst
If you want encrypted communication and safety first butt, services like Cryptocat , ChatSecure and RedPhone meet all the above criteria and yet how many know? or do you know someone who frequently use? Probably not.
The good old Pidgin and Adium quite used to the desktop for many years, offering an excellent level of safety thanks to the modes OTR (Off The Record). Only ever not been audited. Also do not have mobile versions, you can only use them from your computer.
The vaunted BlackBerry messenger , stays very short unless you use the version designed for companies: Blackberry Protected . Both offer encryption of messages in transit, but only the enterprise version offers encrypted end to end and has documented the encryption method used.
Both Facebook Chat and Hangouts offer encryption of communications in transit and have been audited, but that’s it.Facetime and iMessage better pass the test, both offer encryption end to end , your communications remain secure even if someone steals the key, the encryption method is well documented and have been audited by third parties.
Skype offers message encryption end to end , but has never been audited, the encryption method is not documented, you can not verify the identity of your contacts and protects your past communications.
Telegram has not been audited to date and does not protect communications past, but the code is open for review, provides encryption end to end and allows you to verify the identity of your contacts.
WhatsApp does not offer encryption end to end and although it has been audited encryption method is not documented, you can not verify the identity of your contacts, the key to decrypt the messages generated in WhatsApp servers allowing the company to reading your posts. Past submissions are not sure if the keys are stolen and the code is not open for review.