I have started SmartGeekBlog on WordPress CMS. I choose WordPress because it is one of the most popular and easy to use blogging software I ever used. And with most active support forum and hell lot of Plugins, WordPress can be tweaked according to our requirement.
Now as I had installed WordPress, I have to configure and setup basics before I start posting articles. For WordPress being an open source code software, major concern is Security of site. And few other setup that includes SEO optimization of theme and basic plugins addition to make your work done.
Read more about what I have configured till now and what yet to be configured for SmartGeekBlog.
Note: #Article is being updated.
- WordPress Security is one of the most important concern, as WordPress source code is open to all, Hence any single miss of vulnerability will be bad for your WordPress site. So to stay safe there are few most recommended WordPress Hardening settings and using plugins like Wordfence and iTheme Security.
- Don’t forget to create a very very strong password for your blog. I have made sure that password is unique from all other sites and also un-recognizable.
- I update WordPress to latest releases as soon as I receive them, but this ain’t a good idea. Because every new release there might be some bugs or security issues. So better to wait till any news about bugs or security issues are tracked and noticed by user. If there are no major faults in new release than you can update WordPress to whatever latest version available.
- Google loves fast website, Hence if your website is faster than your competitor then you will be in top of the list. So to make WordPress faster and well optimized, caching rewrite rules and plugins are used. Caching rules are added in .htaccess file directly or else WordPress plugins like W3 Total Cache and WP Super Cache (i use) are the best and free in repository for caching.
- Now we have completed with Security and Caching of our new installation. The next big thing is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) of articles and pages. Unless our blog is not fully optimized for search engine, our website wont be shown in search engine result page (SERP). The best plugin that handle entire SEO is WordPress SEO by Yoast. There are few basic configuration need to be done for better WordPress SEO performance.
Note and Conclusion:
Just installing WordPress and using it is not a final. You need to work on security, Search Engine Optimization and complete basic setup to before using WP.
I am currently working on creating Blogging Series, I will keep on posting about WordPress in this series.
If you have any other recommendation for freshly installed WordPress, please reply in comments. We would be very happy to learn more about your blog.